Monday, July 18, 2011

Diary of a club record

Thanks to Sean Flannery for this account of his recent Ironman adventure, well worth a read...

-reports from all the recent club Ironman competitors can be found on the club
IRONMAN WALL OF FAME (click here)

Firstly about 12 months ago the idea of entering an Ironman entered my head and after wondering whether I was capable of committing to the training and also the completion of the event I entered Ironman Austria 2011. I remember having entered and thinking to myself am I gone looney or what. But in saying that I wanted to do something out of the ordinary and knew that with my love of training that I wasn't going to have any problems putting the hours in. Not once in the 12 month's since did I not look forward to a training session although as I've said elsewhere the hardest part was waking up!! I also knew David Downes was entering the same event so we could do some of the longer stuff together as it's always easier clocking up the miles whilst having a training partner. I got to work on a base phase plan in Oct/Nov which lasted about 4 month's. This involved alot of technique based/low intensity work, mainly in the pool and also indoors on a turbo trainer/treadmill due to the adverse weather conditions we had over the winter months. I was also very aware that a good strength/conditioning programme was essential to prepare the body for the gruelling schedule I was preparing to put it through which I undertook 2-3 times per week.

Once we got into the new year, about Feb/March time things started to brighten up a bit. The dark mornings were starting to get brighter and there was now an opportunity to get outdoors. Once the base phase was completed I began the specific conditioning phase of my training which now incorporated hill repeat work on the bike and running also with the weekends used for the longer sessions . Thankfully Tully Hill was close at hand so it got plenty of use. I also started introducing interval sessions on the bike and on runs where the heart rate was increased and lowered consistently. This phase lasted up to May and next up came the phase I had been waiting for all year.....Race phase. This was the period where all the previous month's work would kick in. At this time things got very race specific so that meant sessions would mirror race day scenarios. I felt good at this time and knew I had put in a good shift the previous months.

I made a point of not competing in too many races in the lead up, entering the Boyle duathlon and a double -olympic distance in Athy the only real competitive tests I did from May to June. I kept ticking over during the week with good short,quality sessions in all disciplines the order of the day and on the weekends heading out with Downsey for alternative long bike rides/1-2 hr runs in Union Wood or brick sessions (intense bike/run). This left us well prepared and before we knew it the end of June was upon us. Time to head over to the greatest challenge we had ever taken on.

Knowing you have trained well and prepared well are only a part of the full picture. Logistically there were concerns over travelling arrangements ,flights, transfers and bike safety. The mind was in constant overdrive thinking about nutrition/hydration/sleep or lack of etc. But once we arrived and got the bikes put back together and got some rest we registered things started to fall into place. It was great to have Downsey there as he took care of alot of the logistical matters which waas greatly appreciated and also for the company. I was delighted for him that he achieved his goals on the day. We got the bikes to transition and the transition gabs racked. Now it was the night before. We made sure to stock up at dinner so on a recommendation from that experienced true Ironman, Niall Melvin, I had a good size steak, loads of veg, salad, garlic bread and pizza. It seemed like a lot to eat but on race day it didn't last too long when you were operating at a decent zone.

The morning of the race there was plenty of apprehension at the breakfast tables. A good porridge/banana and coffee ,bread/nutella/banana mix was had to stock up even more. We got to transition and got the wet suits on. I won't mention the 10 portaloos for 3000 people and all that jazz!! Standing on the lake edge wondering what the hell was in store I heard 30 secs to go. No turning back now. The canon went off and all piled in. It called for a calm mind straight away as thumps, kicks and all sorts were going on. I just kept saying to myself keep relaxed, don't waste any energy. Things levelled out pretty quick and the swim was over quite quickly. 400mtr run to T1, in and out in 6 mins and off for a steady 180km bike leg. I was'nt sure how hard to push it but the general way of looking at it was to treat it like a long training ride so my 2 90km laps turned out to be very similar in split times. Looking back on it now if I was to attack that again there definitely is more time to be saved to make the most of that important bike leg. I got back to T2 and on with the runners and out in 5 mins after applying suncream,quick stretch and take on some fluids. I felt good and strong at this point but still didn't know how I'd feel half or 3/4 way through. I got into a good rhythm that I felt I could consistently hold. I must add that I didn't wear any heart rate monitor, I went on how I felt which I recommend for race days as you can get caught up and distracted by what the hrm says. The 5 km marks passed and I knew I was motoring well and was passing more than passed me. There were alot of bodies lying on the side of the run route as competitors ran out of juice. I was determined not to let that happen to me so I made sure I took on fluids and fuel and cooled down with the regular water sponges throughout the run.

After closing in on the final few km I could hear the loudspeaker at the finish line. I somehow picked up the pace and the last km was the most amazing happiest but painful experience ever. The quads were hammered but it didn't matter, I was home. What a buzz crossing that line. I felt I could go do it all again but luckily didn't!! All the time preparing for this had been worth it. Mission accomplished. So much was learned from the experience which I plan to use for future challenges. It took alot out of me but as the battered body recovers it re-builds itself stronger than before. It's a massive and rewarding challenge but if you are prepared to and have the opportunity to get the work done, go for it. Just to keep a balanced view-point on things I would most definitely regard myself as a novice in the greater scheme of things. I'm still serving my apprenticeship at this grade of competition but think it's vital to keep listening and learning to all the experienced heads and keep striving to improve. That's why I find it important to appreciate and learn from the different disciplines around such as from the running perspective---- the 7.57 crew, Sligo A.C , the boys from Eire og cycling have been there, done that and in triathlon terms the likes of Niall Melvin who with 10+ ironman events behind him really knows the score, Skinny McM, C.Casey, Ronan Mac, Tommy Sheridan, Alex Carey, N.Walton, all have great knowledge from past experiences. I don't mean to offend anyone and leave any names out but all I am saying is to listen and pick up any tips that will bring you on as a competitor.