Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cecilias race report; diary of an ironwoman!

Congradulations to our hard working club secretary Cecilia McGuinness on her recent win in the Swinford half-ironman triathlon. Somehow she managed to fit time in between volounteering for club duty to train for this gruelling event. This is a great achievment for the club and sets a very high standard for racers! Her race report below gives an insight into what is involved:

This event was my first time to compete at this distance. I set myself the goal of completing it last January as I was encouraged to do so by club mate Eamonn ‘Mouse’ McAndrew. Last summer, I swam as part of a relay team at Swinford and I was impressed by the club organisation of the event. I also liked the idea of not having to travel too far for it and having our own club support on the day. I never really thought that one year later I’d be back to compete at doing the whole distance.

I had to be consistent in training for the event, 2-3 sessions in each discipline every week. Some weeks were better than others!! I definitely found it difficult to find the time to train for the longer distances but I did try to do so from mid-June. I set myself the goal of trying to be under the 6 hours. I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d break 5:30!!!

I was very nervous before the event to be honest. It was the first time for me really to feel this way. I suppose it was the daunting task of the unknown and how I’d be feeling with the longer distances.

I must admit that the weather on the day suited me, the temperature was mild and winds were moderate. I reckon the tough winds of the last couple of months must have built up my powers of endurance!

The swim as lovely, the lake was still and I didn’t feel fatigued after it. Coming from a swimming background has its advantages. It was my bike that really surprised me, I was delighted with my time to be well under the 3 hours and this performance far exceeded my expectations. The run as ever tested me as I never like running and never train enough for it. I was pleased however with it. The one thing about this distance is that it’s lonely, the training can be lonely and for so much of the course you are on your own so you have to really dig in deep to your powers of mental endurance!

Overall, the Swinford event was very well organised, it’s a club run event and it shows. Marshalls stood for hours on road sides and were at all times accommodating, pleasant and supportive. There is a real sense of community and pride with this event and fair play to such a small club for pulling it off so well.

I must say that it was great to see so many club mates on the day and everyone was as usual very supportive. I would definitely encourage others to try this distance as it’s very satisfying when you complete it but it must be stressed that’s it’s a big step up from Olympic never mind sprint distances. I’m very grateful to my housemates (Clare and Sinead) for putting up with me over the past few months, jaysus but I was probably hard work at times as it was all ‘tri’ talk! The subject is banned for the foreseeable…The parental units were as ever very tolerant and thank God for my Da’s cooking and for providing me with the necessary sustenance!!! Won’t be eating pasta anytime soon! Will I do another one? I vowed I wouldn’t and my mother hopes I won’t but time will tell…..