Monday, October 10, 2011

Athlete profile; Caoimhe Ni Mhuruchu

This interview is taken from a series compiled by Catherine McGlinchey earlier this year. It was taken as Caoimhe was preparing for the peak racing season and might serve as inspiration for any of the women currently grappling with the Autumn triathlon challenge. Since this article Caoimhe went on to complete the gruelling Alpe d'Huez triathlon and then set an Ironman record. Pictured below is a shot of the competitors entering the water at 6:30am before the Hardman triathlon (where Caoimhe set her record), links to articles on her 2011 achievments can be found after the interview...


Starting out...

"I did my first triathlon in 2008 as a ‘dare’. It’s how I ended up doing my first marathon the same year – because someone told me I couldn’t! My debut was in Mullaghmore that year. I have no idea what time I did – all I know is I finished it and was delighted with the tan I got that day. I had my Dad’s old rusty hybrid bike and a surfing wetsuit."

Coming back to the sport...

"I ‘retired’ after 2008 and spent 2009 doing a lot of yoga, even going as far as India for my newest passion. The following year, I decided to apply for the ‘cycle to work’ scheme and got myself what I thought of as a ‘free’ bike. This is also when I got the notion of joining the club. I think what drew me into the sport was the opportunity to meet some new people, as I’m not a Sligo native. I was only interested in the social side initially to be totally honest."

Hooked...

"But like most people who begin with a duathlon or a try-a-tri, I soon got well and truly bitten by the triathlon bug. It seems to be one of those sports that always presents new challenges, introduces you to fantastic people and offers you the novelty of weekends away racing. It’s accessible to anyone and everyone, and rewards you with a huge sense of achievement."

Ambitions...

"I didn’t realise I would get such a thrill from each and every race last year, as I do tend to get bored quite quickly, and I’m not a very competitive person. But so far, so good, and I decided to keep it up this year and ‘go longer’. I’m training for my first half-ironman distance race in France in a few weeks. It’s called the Alpe d’Huez, and is considered a toughie!! I haven’t had the time to enter many other races this year, with holidays (poor me), weddings, and other commitments. But I love the training, feeling fit, and sleeping soundly at night. I’m definitely not bored yet!"

-As mentioned above, Caoimhe went on to complete the Alpe d'Huez triathlon (click here for her race report) and set an Ironman record that will be hard to beat (click here for her report).