Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gaelforce race report

Congradulations to Gwen, Jana and Eamonn who all completed this monster gruelling event last weekend. Apologies if I've missed anyone from the list of finishers. The race is a serious test of endurance (as you will see from Eamonn's race report below!).

Thanks to all the club members who have been sending on this years race reports. The main reason for becoming involved in a club is to share the highs, lows and feats of intestinal fortitude associated with endurance racing. Some of the best stories are from first attempts at the various events; so if you are racing over the next few weeks (Warriors?/ Ironman?/ Lough Key?) or have just completed an event and have time to tap your thoughts into a computer, mail them on to pro@sligotriathlon.ie.

Thanks to Eamonn (mouse) for the following account of another day in the hills of Mayo:

Gaelforce Oh My Good God

A couple of weeks ago I decided to give Gaelforce a lash. I thought I had the endurance and ran up and down Thrussmore a few times to harden myself up. I packed up the wife and kids on the Thursday and headed down for registration and bike drop. This was my first oversight, I told Clodagh it was a couple of miles past Westport, it was actually an hour past Westport to Killary Adventure centre. Then another 30 mins to Delphi for bike drop. Include two baby feeds and lunch we left Grange at 1pm we didn’t arrive home until 9.30pm.

Anyway Race Day

Got up at 2.30am (Eh?!?, STC) had porridge and pasta and hit the road for the pick up bus in Westport which had a departure time of 5.00am. The race started at 6.30am in the middle of nowhere surrounded by mountains and a white sandy beech. The first 9 miles consisted of a mix of road running and cross country running which included sheep trails, the edge of a small river bog etc. It was torture it was at this point it dawned on my THIS WAS NO TRIATHLON. Finished the run in 3rd and into the kayaks across to forde. Next came the up hill run through the bog, it was horrendous. At one point my leg sunk to my thigh in a bog hole. Coming out of the bog I twinged my ankle, it was only a mile run to the bikes so I ran it off. At this stage I was still top five. Onto the bike towards the Reek. (My next oversight). The First 30km on the bike is rolling with one big climb. The last 5km is up hill via a bog road only fit for an ass and cart to the base of the Reek. OH MY GOD WHAT A BEAST.

I am from Mayo and was my first time to see the BEAST. Anyway I started and realised my ankle was not up to the abuse that was coming. I stopped and pondered and decided it was about time I climbed the reek so from this point on the race was over for me. I climbed up and walked down what a climb, the whole mountain wants to fall down, and everything is unstable. I found it harder walking down than up. When I was about half way up, the top three were descending the mountain. The technique was a type of surfing the shale, jumping and hoping for the best. The fastest descent time was 9 minutes. It took me 36mins. The scenery from the top of the Reek is breathtaking but it was not worth the effort. My body was aching all over and I only walked it. Back on the bike and another 3km section of Bog road. It was terrible I had to carry the bike for 3/4km because there was no road, it was if an earthquake had struck. The poor bike. It was here I spotted a guy on TT full carbon bike with a disk wheel and I though to myself it can only be a Dub.

Got to Westport and it was a 1km run to the finish along a rough shore line. Crossed the line had a cup of soup and collected my bike. I had enough of Gaelforce. What a brute of a race. A Challenge around every comer. Respect to the top competitors. Gaelforce would be best described as a battle of endurance. The scenery was amazing. This event was very well organised and definitely worth a lash at some stage in your triathlon career. Would I do it again NO. Form now on its triathlons all the way for me.

Eamon (mouse) McAndrew.

Results and more info can be found on the race website.