Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Westport Triathlon Report


Thanks to Mary Hurley for penning this race report on the 2010 Westport race, this was Mary's first triathlon, which she completed in just over 2hrs (and without the moral support of a gang of clubmates). Hopefully the article will give an idea of what's in store for any other first timers this summer...

"Well I did it, my first triathlon, I still cant believe I did it. Waiting around at the start was the worst as we were hanging around alot and everyone looked like they knew what they were doing except me. I was really getting panicked but soon enough I was in the water and swimming, I waited back and let all the eager competitors head off. I was surprised that I wasn't the only one hanging back. When I started swimming at first I panicked, but turned on my back for a minute and before I knew it I was in my usual rhythm . The transition period was alot easier than I expected. I was alot faster than I thought and surprised myself by not coming last. The worst part was the running as my legs were starting to ache. Everyone doing the triathlon was very encouraging and I'm delighted I did it and cant wait for mullaghmore."

Full details of the race can be found on the Irish Triathlon Website.